Des articles

Kentucky

Kentucky



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Le Kentucky a obtenu le statut d'État en 1792, devenant ainsi le premier pionnier américain Daniel Boone était l'un des explorateurs les plus éminents du Kentucky et de nombreux immigrants ont suivi le sentier qu'il a tracé à travers le Cumberland Gap, connu sous le nom de Wilderness Road. Bien qu'elle se soit rangée du côté de la Confédération pendant la guerre civile, la population était profondément divisée et de nombreux habitants du Kentucky se sont battus pour le Nord. Connu principalement comme une zone agricole jusqu'au 20e siècle, le Kentucky est également un important producteur de charbon américain et le site des bases militaires américaines Fort Knox et Fort Campbell. Il est également connu comme le berceau de la légendaire course de chevaux du Kentucky Derby et de la musique bluegrass, lancée par Bill Monroe, originaire du Kentucky.

Date d'accession au statut d'État : 1 juin 1792

Capitale: Francfort

Population: 4,339,367 (2010)

Taille: 40 411 milles carrés

Surnom(s) : État du pâturin

Devise: Unis nous restons debout divisés nous tombons

Arbre: Peuplier tulipe

Fleur: Verge d'or

Oiseau: Cardinal

  • Malgré le fait qu'il n'y ait pas eu de batailles livrées dans l'État, plus de la moitié de tous les Américains tués au combat pendant la guerre de 1812 étaient originaires du Kentucky.
  • Fin août 1888, neuf membres de la famille Hatfield ont été jugés et condamnés au palais de justice du comté de Pike dans le Kentucky pour une descente au domicile de Randall McCoy, au cours de laquelle son fils et sa fille ont été tués, sa femme a été battue jusqu'à perdre connaissance et sa maison a été incendiée. au sol. La querelle de longue date entre les Hatfield de Virginie-Occidentale et les McCoy du Kentucky a réclamé une douzaine de membres des deux clans. En 2003, les familles ont signé une trêve formelle, mettant officiellement fin aux hostilités.
  • La mélodie « Happy Birthday to You » a été créée par les sœurs Mildred et Patty Hill en 1893. Tout en travaillant à la Louisville Experimental Kindergarten School, le duo a créé une chanson pour les enseignants à chanter aux élèves intitulée « Good Morning to All ». En 1924, Robert Coleman a publié pour la première fois les paroles de « Happy Birthday to You » avec la mélodie. C'est maintenant l'une des chansons les plus populaires de la langue anglaise.
  • Le dépôt de lingots des États-Unis à Fort Knox contient la plus grande réserve d'or au monde. En 2011, les avoirs valaient plus de 260 milliards de dollars.
  • Le Hillbilly Days Festival, qui dure trois jours, attire plus de 100 000 personnes à Pikeville. L'événement a débuté en 1977 dans le but de célébrer la culture des Appalaches tout en recueillant des fonds pour les Hôpitaux Shriners pour enfants.
  • Bien qu'il soit plus étroitement associé à l'Illinois, Abraham Lincoln est né à Hodgenville, Kentucky.

GALERIES DE PHOTOS










Kentucky - HISTOIRE

Cette estampe coloriée à la main sur papier, dessinée et gravée par Courtois de Malines, représente « Little Loretto » dans le comté de Marion. Il semble curieux qu'une minuscule colonie religieuse frontalière du Kentucky fasse l'objet d'une gravure réalisée en Belgique...

En 1785, soixante familles catholiques des comtés de Charles, Price George et St. Mary's dans le Maryland ont formé une ligue qui s'est engagée à émigrer vers le Kentucky (alors encore un comté de Virginie) dans un délai déterminé. En s'installant ensemble pour un soutien et une protection mutuels, ils espéraient également que leurs besoins spirituels seraient rapidement reconnus par l'évêque John Carroll de Baltimore, nommé l'année précédente à la tête du premier diocèse des États-Unis, qui englobait tout le pays. Les vingt-cinq premières familles ont trouvé une nouvelle maison près des sources du ruisseau Pottinger dans la région vallonnée de Knobs du Commonwealth. Holy Cross, la première église catholique à l'ouest des monts Allegheny, a été construite ici en 1792, la même année où le Kentucky a été reconnu comme un État. À cette époque, cette région devint le comté de Washington (du nom de George Washington), dont une partie fut rebaptisée en 1834 le comté de Marion, en l'honneur du général Francis Marion, le « renard des marais » de la guerre d'indépendance.

En 1793, le père Stephen Theodore Badin, religieux exilé de la Révolution française et premier prêtre catholique ordonné aux États-Unis, fut affecté à l'œuvre missionnaire dans le Kentucky par l'évêque Carroll. Badin a marché de Baltimore à Pittsburgh, où il est monté à bord d'un bateau plat à destination de Limestone (maintenant Maysville). Il vécut d'abord près de Sainte-Croix, puis à la fin de 1794 s'installa à quelques kilomètres de la ferme Saint-Étienne, où il avait construit une chapelle portant le nom de son saint patron. De là, il voyagea à cheval pour servir toutes les familles catholiques du Kentucky, alors au nombre d'un peu moins de sept cents. En douze ans, ce nombre est passé à près de sept mille, dispersés dans tout l'État. En 1805, l'évêque envoya le père Charles Nerinckx au secours de Badin.

Aîné des quatorze enfants, Nerinckx est né à Herffelingen, Belgique, le 2 octobre 1761. Après des études à Enghien, Gheel et Louvain, il entre au séminaire théologique de Malines en 1781 et, après son ordination en 1785, devient vicaire à la cathédrale là-bas. (La ville néerlandophone de Malines, dans la province d'Anvers, en Flandre, est connue en français sous le nom de Malines et en anglais sous le nom de Mechlin.) En 1794, Nerinckx s'installe à Everberg-Meerbeke (près de Louvain), où il est curé et reconstruit le église paroissiale. Mais en 1797, le gouvernement belge, toujours sous le pouvoir du Directoire français anticlérical, exigea que tous les prêtres prêtent un serment de haine contre la royauté. Nerinckx a refusé et a échappé à l'arrestation pendant sept ans en se cachant à l'hôpital de Termonde, qui était administré par sa tante, une religieuse bénédictine pendant la journée qu'il se cachait, souvent dans le grenier ou un poulailler, tandis que la nuit il s'occupait des catholiques de besoin et conduit des messes à 2 heures du matin. En 1804, Nerinckx réussit finalement à s'échapper en marchant dix jours jusqu'à Amsterdam, où il embarqua sur un navire à destination de l'Amérique et débarqua à Baltimore. L'évêque Carroll a d'abord demandé à Nerinckx d'étudier l'anglais à Georgetown à Washington, D.C.

Comme Badin, Nerinckx vivait pratiquement en selle. Les deux prêtres ont voyagé séparément à travers tout le Kentucky pendant plusieurs années, mais ont divisé leur territoire en 1812. Il a fallu six semaines à Nerinckx pour faire le tour de son district, environ un carré de deux cents milles couvrant près de la moitié de l'État. Il a déménagé à la congrégation de Hardin's Creek dans le comté de Marion, à un peu plus de dix milles de St. Stephen's Farm et à plusieurs milles à l'est de Pottinger’s Creek, s'installant dans la sacristie à l'arrière de l'église, qu'il avait nommée St. Charles en l'honneur de son saint patron. Peu de temps après son déménagement, Nerinckx, avec trois enseignantes locales dévouées, a fondé la première communauté de religieuses aux États-Unis, à l'origine appelée La Petite Société des Amis de Marie au pied de la Croix.

Mary Rhodes avait déjà commencé une école dans une petite cabane en rondins délabrée abandonnée par un colon à environ 800 mètres de Saint-Charles plus tard, elle a été rejointe par Christina Stuart, puis Ann Havern. Pour plus de commodité, ils ont aménagé une cabane en rondins à proximité où ils pouvaient dormir dans un grenier, avec des lits pour les étudiants en pension disposés au rez-de-chaussée nu du salon la nuit et rangés sur «l'étagère haute» le jour. Les lits de paille avaient des couvertures unies, pas des couettes de fantaisie, et leur table de travail était une demi-bûche fendue. Une cuisine et un réfectoire (salle à manger) combinés utilisaient une table faite de planches clouées à une souche laissée debout au milieu de la cabane par les anciens locataires, qui l'avaient probablement utilisée dans un but similaire.

Les femmes se sont senties attirées par la formation d'une communauté religieuse et ont demandé l'aide de Nerinckx, en rédigeant une Règle (code de conduite pour leur nouvel ordre) et en recevant l'approbation de l'évêque Benoît Joseph Flaget, nommé au Kentucky lorsque quatre autres diocèses avaient été établis (sur le territoire de Baltimore) en 1808 à Boston, New York, Philadelphie et Bardstown, la région couverte par le diocèse de Bardstown comprenait la majeure partie de ce qui est maintenant le Kentucky, le Tennessee, le Missouri, l'Illinois, l'Indiana, l'Ohio et le Michigan. Le 25 avril, une cérémonie formelle d'engagement a eu lieu. Trois autres novices (Ann Rhodes, Sarah Havern et Nellie Morgan, plus tard connue sous le nom de Sœur Clare) ont été reçues le 29 juin et, ce jour-là, le premier grand arbre a été coupé pour commencer la construction. d'installations plus adaptées pour l'école et le couvent. Nerinckx a demandé l'aide de la congrégation de St. Charles, il a lancé un programme d'abonnement qui a permis de récolter quelques centaines de dollars, principalement dans le commerce, et a demandé à ceux qui n'en avaient pas les moyens de l'aider en se procurant des bûches. Nerinckx écrivit plus tard ceci à propos de la fondation : « Un petit terrain, d'environ 50 acres non mesurés, indifférent aux commodités naturelles, acheté par sœur Anna Rhodes pour 75 $ pour la SOCIÉTÉ, à propos de la chapelle Saint-Charles, sur Hardin's Creek, comté de Washington, Kentucky, États-Unis d'Amérique, appelé LITTLE LORETTO, a été commencé le 25 avril 1812.

Alors que la construction commençait pour de bon, les arbres autour des deux cabanes existantes ont été abattus et taillés en rondins, qui ont à la fois fourni des matériaux de construction et dégagé la zone. Nerinckx a jalonné les emplacements pour ériger chaque structure et les sœurs elles-mêmes ont débarrassé la cour des souches, les déchiquetant puis brûlant ce qui restait. Une fois que les bois de fondation ont été posés, de petites pierres tirées du ruisseau Hardin's Creek ont ​​été construites sous eux pour le soutien, avec de la boue et de la paille utilisées pour remplir les crevasses vides. Les sœurs et leurs voisines ont aidé à la construction, et chaque fois qu'en ville Nerinckx intervenait également, on notait que pendant des années, l'empreinte de ses doigts était visible dans le mortier d'argile plâtré dans les espaces entre les bûches.

Des clous et du verre devaient être achetés et parfois un peu d'argent était nécessaire aux constructeurs embauchés. Francis Melton du comté de Washington s'est engagé à construire « trois cabines doubles de seize pieds en clair, avec un passage entre elles de huit pieds, à finir d'une manière artisanale, et achevées avant la fin de juillet 1813, – le du bois à prendre, autant que possible, sur les terres du général Walton et d'autres voisins consentants - Charles Nerinckx pour payer les travaux soixante dollars en espèces, et soixante dollars en échange évalué au prix du commerce commun, à M. Charles Hayden est sur Pottinger's Creek. En 1814, Nerinckx trouva à Pittsburgh de nouveaux appareils de cuisson pratiques qui pourraient alléger certaines des tâches ménagères des sœurs, pour 100 $ pièce plus les frais de transport appelés poêles, ce furent les premiers à être vus dans le comté et peut-être dans tout l'État du Kentucky.

Le plan créé par Nerinckx prévoyait deux rangées de bâtiments, avec une grande cour carrée s'étendant en arrière de la route entre eux. Le premier bâtiment à droite de l'entrée était l'école, une double cabine d'un étage avec sa cheminée en bois à l'extérieur. Viennent ensuite la chapelle et le couvent, une structure de deux étages composée de deux cabines carrées avec des chambres supérieures. (Les deux pièces de chaque côté de la chapelle étaient destinées à être utilisées par la communauté, mais ne furent achevées que deux ans plus tard.) Le troisième bâtiment, une cabine double similaire, servait à la cuisine et au réfectoire.

A gauche, le premier bâtiment était la résidence de Nerinckx, qu'il aurait construit de ses propres mains. Comme l'école, il s'agissait d'une double cabine d'un étage avec une cheminée en bois à l'extérieur et avec l'espace entre protégé par un bardage pour former une petite entrée une pièce servait de salon, d'étude, de chambre et de réfectoire, tandis que l'autre était réservé comme logement pour l'évêque ou les prêtres en visite. Dans le deuxième bâtiment se trouvait la cuisine de Nerinckx, son cuisinier emmenait les repas du prêtre à la sacristie Saint-Charles en cas de besoin et faisait également des courses pour les sœurs. Le troisième bâtiment servait de salle de travail, d'infirmerie et de maison d'hôtes. Dès que sa propre maison a été terminée, Nerinckx a déménagé à Little Loretto.

Les deux vieilles cabanes qui avaient servi d'école et de couvent ont été démolies et leurs rondins utilisés pour construire une petite cabane double au fond de la cour, qui était d'abord un hangar à viande et plus tard une habitation. Derrière ont été construits des écuries et des dépendances, à des endroits et à des distances convenables. La vaste cour carrée a été nivelée et semée d'herbe bleue. Un petit terrain à l'extérieur de la chapelle était réservé comme cimetière pour les sœurs et planté d'arbres, d'arbustes et de fleurs, une grande croix carrée était placée au milieu, entourée d'une tonnelle à feuilles persistantes. Une clôture de rail a été construite autour des bâtiments et de la cour. À l'extérieur de la clôture se trouvait un jardin qui s'étendait jusqu'au sommet de la colline et, de l'autre côté, s'étendait jusqu'au ruisseau sur sa pente descendante. Nerinckx lui-même planta un verger.

Lorsque la chapelle fut terminée, elle fut bénie et baptisée "Petit Lorette" en l'honneur de Notre-Dame de Lorette, pour qui Nerinckx avait une dévotion particulière. En Italie, Loreto est le site de la basilique della Santa Casa, un sanctuaire de pèlerinage depuis au moins le 14ème siècle qui, selon la tradition, contient la maison d'origine de la Vierge Marie. Le suffixe -eto la terminaison "Loreto" n'est pas un diminutif mais du latin -etum, signifiant un bosquet ou un bois loreto vient du latin lauretum, un bosquet de lauriers. Le nom que Nerinckx avait choisi n'était pas mal orthographié, cependant "Sisters of Loreto" avait déjà été utilisé (depuis 1609) par un ordre différent, dont les membres ont depuis inclus Mère Teresa de Calcutta. Mais à la frontière du Kentucky, où l'on savait peu de choses sur les détails de l'histoire catholique, les voisins ont commencé à se référer aux « Sœurs de Loretto », qui est devenue la façon dont la communauté était et est connue. Les sœurs fondatrices rebaptisèrent officiellement leur Société les « Sœurs de Lorette au pied de la Croix », plus simplement appelées « Sœurs de Lorette ».

Nerinckx souhaitait faire appel en personne à sa famille et à ses amis dans sa Belgique natale pour obtenir des fonds et des fournitures religieuses, ainsi que recruter plus de prêtres pour le Kentucky et soumettre la règle de la Société à l'approbation papale. Mgr Flaget lui a demandé d'attendre deux ans, et la guerre de 1812 a forcé un nouveau délai, mais Nerinckx s'est finalement embarqué en septembre 1815. Peu après son arrivée en Belgique, il a prononcé un discours intitulé Coup d'œil sur l'état actuel de la religion catholique romaine en Amérique du Nord, également publié sous forme de brochure. À Rome, Pie VII a accueilli avec joie la nouvelle Société, mais s'inquiétait du fait que certaines parties de sa Règle étaient trop rigidement austères, les révisions nécessaires devaient être communiquées plus tard par écrit. (Le récit de Nerinckx de son voyage à Rome a été imprimé en Belgique après son retour en 1816.)

Pendant son séjour en Belgique, Nerinckx a commandé deux œuvres d'art. L'une était la gravure de Little Loretto montrée ici qui illustre le site, avec les sœurs entourant une vision de Marie et la Crucifixion au centre en bas est une clé en néerlandais, français et anglais qui identifie les bâtiments par des légendes de lettres. Bien que probablement fabriqué à partir d'un dessin fourni par Nerinckx, c'est probablement le graveur européen, peu familier avec le comté de Marion, Kentucky, qui était responsable des éléments botaniques et topographiques fantaisistes tels que les palmiers et la flore tropicale, les sommets des montagnes rocheuses et un cascade. L'autre œuvre d'art était une gravure sur bois de « Jésus souffrant sur la croix, presque caché par un énorme cœur enflammé. Dans la plaie béante du Divin Cœur, on voit le Cœur transpercé de Marie, entouré de cœurs plus petits représentant les professes … Sur le rocher au pied de la croix l'étendard de la Compagnie flotte : « O Jésus souffrant ! Douloureuse Marie ! et une photo de l'ancien couvent Loretto est visible à l'arrière-plan… L'un de ces [travaux] Le père Nerinckx avait encadré, avec du verre des deux côtés, le revers portant … [une longue inscription religieuse] de sa propre écriture. Dans la gravure ici, deux bannières cramoisies portées par des anges portent les mêmes mots.

Selon un biographe, « Il y avait aussi de nombreux tableaux, certains d'entre eux très précieux, qu'avec l'aide de son grand ami, M. Peemans de Louvain, il a obtenu des églises qui avaient été détruites et saccagées par les Français. Parmi les meilleurs d'entre eux était une crucifixion, maintenant dans l'église de Bardstown, et un prétendu véritable Van Dyke dans la cathédrale de Louisville, représentant saint Bernard avec la sainte hostie, administrant une réprimande solennelle à Guillaume d'Aquitaine pour son schismatique et désordonné conduite." Certaines des peintures appartenant à l'archidiocèse de Louisville (le siège a déménagé de Bardstown en 1841) sont exposées depuis la rénovation de la cathédrale de l'Assomption en 1994.

Nerinckx rapporta 8 000 livres de marchandises au Kentucky de son deuxième voyage en Europe en 1820. Il contribua également à faire venir de Belgique le premier groupe de jésuites qui s'installèrent dans les États occidentaux. À l'étranger, Nerinckx apprit que Mgr Flaget avait reçu des recommandations du Bureau de la propagation de la foi à Rome : la Règle devait être changée en une Règle basée sur la Règle de saint Augustin et les Constitutions de la Société modifiées. Lorsque Nerinckx a parlé avec l'évêque de ces exigences en 1823, il a commenté que «la fraternité dans son état actuel est florissante et porte des fruits dans une mesure considérable, et notre Rt. Rév. Évêque [Flagette] et moi-même j'ai pensé qu'il était prudent de ne pas tailler ni toucher l'arbre qui portait si bien sans lui.

En 1824, Nerinckx demande la permission de se déplacer plus à l'ouest. L'évêque Joseph Rosati de la Nouvelle-Orléans a affecté Nerinckx au territoire de la Haute-Louisiane, aujourd'hui Missouri, où il espérait développer des missions parmi les Amérindiens. Ironiquement, l'évêque Carroll avait recommandé en 1808 que Nerinckx soit nommé évêque de la Nouvelle-Orléans, mais Nerinckx avait décliné cet honneur parce qu'il pensait qu'il y avait trop à faire dans le Kentucky. Depuis son arrivée dans l'État, Nerinckx avait organisé au moins une nouvelle congrégation par an dans des colonies à forte population catholique et était directement responsable de la construction de plus d'une douzaine de nouveaux bâtiments d'église. Nerinckx a informé les sœurs de sa décision en personne et leur a également écrit une lettre d'adieu. Après avoir quitté Little Loretto le 16 juin, Nerinckx a visité leur première école à l'extérieur du Kentucky, que les sœurs avaient été invitées à établir l'année précédente à The Barrens dans le comté de Perry, Missouri. Moins de deux mois plus tard, Nerinckx a contracté une forte fièvre et est décédé le 12 août, à l'âge de 63 ans, à St. Genevieve, Missouri.

Après la mort de Nerinckx, Mgr Flaget a demandé aux sœurs de déménager de Little Loretto à St. Stephen's Farm. Badin, qui y avait habité jusqu'en 1819, leur céda le terrain à la demande de l'évêque, en échange d'un terrain occupé par une école de garçons. Tenant compte de l'exhortation de Nerinckx à « Soyez unis et tirez de la même manière », les sœurs se sont déplacées, en chariot. Après s'être installés à la ferme, ils sont retournés à Little Loretto pour mettre le feu à tous les bâtiments, à l'exception de la cabane de Nerinckx. Ils considéraient leur maison d'origine comme un terrain sacré et ne voulaient pas que les bâtiments tombent entre les mains d'autrui. La communauté voisine tire son nom des sœurs et, en 1833, elle était assez grande pour avoir son propre bureau de poste. Loretto est maintenant mieux connu comme la maison de Maker’s Mark, l'un des célèbres whiskies bourbon du Kentucky, distillé à Star Hill Farm.

Au moment de la mort de Nerinckx, douze ans après sa fondation, les Sœurs de Lorette étaient passées à plus de cent membres et avaient établi six écoles et cinq couvents dans deux États, avec un auxiliaire appelé la branche de Jéricho à Malines, en Belgique au fil des ans. , ils avaient établi quarante-deux écoles dans le Kentucky. Un terrain donné dans le comté de Nelson pour une école que Nerinckx avait nommée « Gethsemani », qui a fermé plus tard en 1848, a été vendu à des trappistes de l'abbaye de Melleray dans l'ouest de la France. L'abbaye Notre-Dame de Gethsémani, aujourd'hui considérée comme la maison mère de toutes les communautés trappistes des États-Unis, est le plus ancien monastère encore en activité dans ce pays, il est également bien connu pour les écrits spirituels de Thomas Merton (Père Louie) et ses fromage fait à la main, gâteau aux fruits et fudge des fermes Gethsemani.

Les Sœurs de Lorette ont actuellement des communautés dans seize États et en Europe, au Canada, en Amérique du Sud et en Afrique. La maison mère est toujours située dans la ville rurale de Nerinx, rebaptisée de St. Stephen's Farm en l'honneur de leur fondateur, le bureau de poste de Nerinx, à environ 60 miles de Louisville, ouvert en 1899. La résidence de Badin, la première maison en brique du comté de Marion lorsqu'elle a été construit en 1816, est toujours utilisé. Dix ans après sa mort, le corps de Nerinckx a été transporté à la maison mère pour être enterré et une statue en marbre de lui a été érigée en 1910. La moitié de sa cabane à Little Loretto a été ramenée à la maison mère en 1895, où elle est toujours visible.
.

Image KOAR montrée ici :
2013.15.15 Le Petit Loretto, par Courtois de Malines, vers 1815
.


Bienvenue dans le comté de Mercer, KY

Le comté de Mercer, en Virginie (plus tard le Kentucky) a été formé à partir du comté de Lincoln, en Virginie. C'était le 7ème comté à être formé et a été créé le 1er août 1785
En 1780, l'Assemblée de Virginie divise le comté de Kentucky en comtés de Fayette, Jefferson et Lincoln, Harrodstown étant le siège du comté de Lincoln. En 1785, le comté de Mercer a été formé à partir du comté de Lincoln et Harrodstown est resté le siège du comté. En même temps, le nom de la ville a été officiellement changé en Harrodsburg.

DONNÉES EN LIGNE

Biographies Naissances
Cimetières Recensement
Registres paroissiaux Histoire du comté
Archives du comté Des morts
Bibles familiales Famille de caillé
Mariages Militaire
Journaux Avis de décès
Esclaves/Esclavage Testaments
Mises à jour du site Web :
L'actualité criminelle 2019 - Avis de décès
Visiter la page des nouvelles
Juillet - Août 2016 Bios ajoutées
Histoire de l'agitateur

Notre objectif est de vous aider à suivre vos ancêtres à travers le temps en transcrivant des données généalogiques et historiques pour le libre usage de tous les chercheurs.
RECHERCHEZ NOS SITES
Nous recherchons des personnes qui partagent notre engagement à mettre des données en ligne et qui souhaitent aider ce projet à réussir autant qu'il peut l'être. Si vous êtes intéressé à rejoindre les sentiers de généalogie, consultez notre Volontariat pour plus d'informations.
(Assez de connaissances pour créer une page Web de base et un désir de transcrire des données est requis)

Nous regrettons de ne pas être en mesure d'effectuer des recherches personnelles pour les gens.
Toutes les données que nous rencontrons seront ajoutées à ce site. Nous vous remercions de votre visite et espérons que vous reviendrez pour voir les mises à jour que nous apportons à ce site.

Si vous souhaitez être tenu informé des mises à jour de notre site Web d'état et de comté,
abonnez-vous à tout ou partie de nos listes de diffusion
Kentucky
est couvert par notre liste de diffusion « États du Sud ».

COMTÉS ENVIRONNANTS

Copyright &copier les sentiers de généalogie
Toutes les données de ce site Web sont protégées par le droit d'auteur de Genealogy Trails avec tous les droits réservés aux auteurs originaux.


Kentucky

Les gens sont arrivés pour la première fois dans le pays maintenant appelé Kentucky il y a au moins 14 000 ans, peut-être à la suite de mammouths et d'autres gros gibiers qui ont migré ici. Des milliers d'années plus tard, des tribus amérindiennes, dont les Cherokee, les Shawnee, les Chickasaw et les Yuchi, vivaient sur la terre.

Ce n'est qu'en 1774 que la première colonie blanche permanente a été fondée. Les pionniers James Harrod et Daniel Boone fondèrent d'autres colonies dans les années suivantes.

Pendant un certain temps, la partie orientale du Kentucky actuel a été considérée comme faisant partie de la Virginie, mais en 1792, elle a été déclarée son propre État. La partie ouest du Kentucky a ensuite été ajoutée en 1818 après avoir été achetée à la tribu Chickasaw.

Lorsque la guerre de Sécession éclate en 1861, le Kentucky est officiellement neutre. Pourtant, 140 000 de ses citoyens sont allés se battre dans la guerre.

POURQUOI ÇA APPELLE ÇA ?

La plupart des experts pensent que le nom Kentucky vient d'une langue amérindienne, mais ils ne sont pas d'accord sur laquelle. Cela vient peut-être du nom Wyandot de la région, Kah-ten-tah-teh, qui peut être grossièrement traduit par « Terre de demain ». Il est également possible que cela vienne du nom Shawnee de la région, Kain-tuck-ee, ce qui signifie « À la tête de la rivière ». Ou il peut avoir été dérivé du mot iroquoien ou mohawk Kentucke signifiant « parmi les prés ».

À droite : symboles de l'État du Kentucky

GÉOGRAPHIE ET ​​TERRITOIRES

Le Kentucky est bordé par l'Indiana et l'Ohio au nord, où la rivière Ohio crée une frontière ondulée. Il comprend la Virginie-Occidentale (séparée du Kentucky par la rivière Big Sandy) et la Virginie à l'est, le Tennessee au sud et le Missouri et l'Illinois à l'ouest.

Le Kentucky contient six régions géographiques différentes. Le plus à l'est se trouve la région des montagnes, une partie de la chaîne des Appalaches. Les forêts, les hautes crêtes et les vallées étroites en forme de V se trouvent ici, ainsi que le point culminant de l'État, Big Black Mountain. C'est aussi une terre de gisements de charbon - 10 500 miles carrés de charbon se trouvent sous cette zone, connue sous le nom de Eastern Kentucky Coal Field.

Allez vers l'ouest jusqu'à la région des boutons en forme de fer à cheval, où l'érosion a créé des centaines de collines en forme de boutons appelées monadnocks. Une partie de la forêt nationale Daniel Boone se trouve ici.

Au milieu des Knobs se trouve la région du Bluegrass, du nom de l'herbe bleu-vert qui y pousse. Ses collines, ses gouffres, ses grottes et ses sources ont tous été créés lorsque le calcaire local s'est altéré ou s'est effondré.

La région Pennyroyal (également orthographiée Pennyrile) tire son nom d'un type de menthe qui y pousse. S'étendant vers l'ouest dans le centre de l'État, cette zone est rocheuse avec des arbres, des lacs et de nombreuses grottes. L'une de ces cavernes est Mammoth Cave, la plus longue du monde, elle s'étend sur plus de 350 miles !

Entourée par le Pennyroyal se trouve la région de Western Coalfield, une région vallonnée recouvrant 4 680 milles carrés de charbon. Le parc d'État John James Audubon, du nom du célèbre artiste et naturaliste, se trouve dans cette région.

L'achat de Jackson dans l'extrême ouest, qui a été ajouté au Kentucky en 1818, est une plaine remplie d'étangs, de lacs et de marécages.

FAUNE

Les ours noirs, les lynx roux, les renards roux, les visons et les loutres de rivière sont des mammifères communs du Kentucky. Contemplez le ciel et vous verrez peut-être un faucon pèlerin, un pygargue à tête blanche, un merlebleu des montagnes, une paruline du Kentucky ou un cardinal du nord (l'oiseau de l'État). Vérifiez le sol et les arbres pour les reptiles comme le coureur à six lignes, le scinque à tête large ou le serpent des blés de l'Est. Des amphibiens tels que la salamandre printanière du Kentucky ou la salamandre de Jefferson traînent près de l'eau.

Le peuplier tulipe (l'arbre de l'État) est originaire de l'est des États-Unis, tout comme le caféier du Kentucky. Les autres arbres indigènes comprennent l'érable rouge, le sassafras, le chêne rouge du nord et le cyprès chauve. Recherchez des fleurs sauvages indigènes colorées telles que l'ancolie sauvage, l'échinacée pourpre, l'iris nain et la pantoufle du Kentucky en voie de disparition, un type d'orchidée.

RESSOURCES NATURELLES

Avec près de la moitié de l'État couvert de forêts, il n'est pas surprenant que le Kentucky soit l'un des trois principaux producteurs de bois dur du pays. C'est également le troisième producteur de charbon des États-Unis, grâce à ses vastes bassins houillers naturels. Le calcaire est une autre ressource de premier plan.

TRUC AMUSANT

—Beaucoup de personnes célèbres viennent du Kentucky, dont le président Abraham Lincoln Mildred et Patty Hill, qui a écrit la chanson de « Happy Birthday to You » et le boxeur Muhammad Ali.

—Vous pouvez visiter le musée et l'usine Louisville Slugger, où les premières de ses désormais célèbres battes de baseball ont été fabriquées dans les années 1880. Vous ne pouvez pas manquer l'endroit : à l'extérieur se trouve une batte en acier de 120 pieds de haut !

—Fort Knox abrite le dépôt de lingots des États-Unis, une voûte souterraine contenant l'une des plus grandes réserves d'or au monde, estimée à environ 260 milliards de dollars !

— L'est du Kentucky abrite tant de stars de la musique country qu'un tronçon d'autoroute a été rebaptisé « Country Music Highway ».


Faits amusants sur les comtés du Kentucky

Comtés par année

    , les comtés de Jefferson et de Lincoln étaient les 3 premiers comtés créés le 1er mai 1780. a été le dernier comté créé le 12 mars 1912.

Faits sur la taille du comté

Faits sur la population du comté

Faits sur la ville du Kentucky

Kentucky&rsquos 10 plus grandes villes sont :

  1. Louisville (620 000) est dans le comté de Jefferson
  2. Lexington (321.959) est dans le comté de Fayette
  3. Bowling Green (67 067) se trouve dans le comté de Warren
  4. Owensboro (57 265) est dans le comté de Daviess
  5. Covington (40 640) est dans le comté de Kenton
  6. Hopkinsville (31 577) se trouve dans le comté de Christian
  7. Richmond (31 364) se trouve dans le comté de Madison
  8. Florence (29 951) est dans le comté de Boone
  9. Georgetown (29 098) est dans le comté de Scott
  10. Henderson (28 757) est dans le comté de Henderson

4 mystères inexpliqués du Kentucky

À l'approche d'Halloween, les récits de rencontres inexpliquées, de créatures sinistres et de mystères non résolus deviennent encore plus intrigants. Le Kentucky a une histoire profonde de phénomènes inexplicables et d'esprits agités, et nous aimons raconter ces histoires chaque fois que l'occasion se présente.

Voici quatre de nos favoris :

Image reproduite avec l'aimable autorisation de David Kidd

Goatman : La légende du monstre Pope Lick

Le monstre Pope Lick, ou Goatman, est au centre de la tradition depuis des décennies. La légende raconte qu'un mi-homme, mi-chèvre réside sous un tréteau de train qui enjambe Pope Lick Creek à Louisville. Comme les trolls des vieux contes de fées, il n'aime pas que les gens traversent son pont. Certains disent que cet homme est né difforme puis abandonné. Certains disent qu'il n'est pas du tout un homme, mais un démon.

De nombreux aventuriers ont erré sur ou sous le vieux tréteau à la recherche de cette entité effrayante. Des bruits étranges ont été signalés et des accidents se sont produits. Certains ont même tragiquement conduit à la mort, comme ce fut le cas en avril dernier lorsqu'une femme est tombée à mort du vieux tréteau. La zone est clôturée et clairement marquée comme « pas d'intrusion ».

Enterré vivant : la double mort d'Octavia Smith Hatcher

James Hatcher était un homme riche et heureux qui vivait à Pikeville Kentucky. Il était impliqué dans le bois, l'extraction du charbon et possédait le premier hôtel de la communauté. Hatcher a épousé la charmante Octavia Smith de la région en 1889, et elle lui a donné un fils. Malheureusement, les années 1890 avaient un taux de mortalité infantile relativement élevé. De plus, bon nombre des maladies pour lesquelles nous avons maintenant des vaccins, comme la rougeole et la variole, étaient mortelles. Le fils d'Octavia et James tomba gravement malade peu de temps après sa naissance et le petit enfant mourut en janvier 1891.

La mort de son fils a plongé Octavia dans une profonde et sombre dépression et elle est tombée physiquement malade. Elle finit par sombrer dans le coma et, le 2 mai 1891, la nouvelle épouse est déclarée décédée. James a été dévasté, et il a enterré son épouse.

Peu de temps après, d'autres dans la ville ont souffert de la même maladie mystérieuse. Ces derniers malades se sont toutefois réveillés. Cela a donné de l'espoir à James et il a rapidement organisé une exhumation du cercueil d'Octavia. Malheureusement, il était trop tard et sa fiancée était vraiment morte cette fois – même s'il était évident, d'après les grattages et les griffes sur le couvercle du cercueil, qu'elle s'était réveillée avec la terreur d'être enterrée vivante. On dit qu'elle avait un air de terreur absolue sur son visage, comme si elle avait été figée par la peur. James Hatcher a dû pleurer et enterrer son épouse deux fois.

Image reproduite avec l'aimable autorisation de Louisville Ghostly Registry

Un conte tordu : L'arbre aux sorcières du Vieux Louisville

Old Louisville est la communauté victorienne la plus grande et la mieux conservée au monde. Il a également une longue et sombre histoire de hantises et d'événements étranges. During the late 1800s, for example, it was widely known that a coven of witches had a favorite maple tree near the corner of 6 th Street and Park where they'd gather to perform ceremonies and pay homage to their nature gods. In 1889, lore has it that a local planning committee decided to cut down the tree for a May Day pole. The witches were warned of the plans and confronted the committee, but the business folks would not back down and cut down the tree anyway.

As you can imagine, this didn't bode well with the witches. Legend says that they cast a special curse in retaliation. Eleven months later, on March 27 th , 1890, Louisville was hit with one of the most severe storms in its history. Many believed the witches had called forth a Storm Demon, which brought with it thunder, lightning and devastating tornados. Witnesses say lightning struck the spot where the maple tree once grew and, not long after, another tree started growing in its place.

A misshapen, lumpy, bumpy, deformed tree still stands close to 6 th and Park. Pentagrams, crosses, dolls and other tokens and blessings hang from its branches. Items are placed there in some cases to honor the witches, and in others too ward them off. Local witches are still said to frequent the area, and Old Louisville is also said to be among the most haunted neighborhoods in the country. Of course the Witch Tree is one of the favorite stops on area ghost tours .


Image courtesy Kentucky New Era

Close encounters: Hopkinsville's little green men

The mystery of the little green men in Kentucky has been given several different names. It was called the Kelly green man case, and also the mystery of the Kentucky goblins. It took place in 1955 just outside Hopkinsville, within the borders of Christian County. UFO enthusiasts have deemed it one of the most well-documented cases in the realm of unidentified, unexplainable incidents.

Five adults and seven children made their way to the police station on August 21, 1955, to report the encounter. Elmer "Lucky" Sutton and Billy Ray Taylor both claimed to have fought off these unknown beings with gunfire. The police investigated, finding evidence of lots of gunfire, but no goblins. The residents and visitors swore to their existence and were terrified. Even military police came out to observe the "crime" scene. Neighbors also reported strange lights and sounds, although the official explanation was attributed to owls. Every August, Hopkinsville celebrates the incident with its " Little Green Men Days Festival."


The Kentucky Migration

The first serious explorations of the Kentucky territory by English colonists had begun around 1750, and it was found that the area was not generally inhabited by Indians, but was used primarily as a hunting ground by Indian tribes living along the tributaries north of the Ohio River and by the southern Cherokee tribes. Negotiations with the Indians for white settlement of the area followed close upon the early explorations, resulting in the 1768 treaty concluded at Fort Stanwix, NY, with the Mohawk Six Nations, who claimed rights to the territory by virtue of their conquest of the Shawnees. The Indian participants at the negotiations agreed to white settlement of the land south of the Ohio for the consideration of 10,000 pounds sterling. In 1774 an incursion into Virginia by the Shawnee and Miami tribes led to their defeat, after which they also relinquished their rights to the Kentucky territory. A group of negotiators from the Transylvania Company which included Daniel Boone obtained agreement from the Cherokees along the Tennessee River in 1775 to allow white settlement of the area. By 1780 a number of stations had been established by James Harrod, Daniel Boone and others to facilitate the migration into the territory from the eastern states. In spite of the treaties, Indians raids on the settlements were common during the first two decades of the movement into Kentucky. These were first encouraged by the French and, during and after the Revolutionary War, by the British from their strongholds in the north. Indian depredations greatly slowed the rate of settlement of the territory until the middle 1780's.

Migration from St. Mary's, Maryland to Kentucky

The Revolutionary War brought great hardships and even greater changes to St. Mary's County. British warships roamed the Chesapeake and tributary rivers at will, impounding supplies and in many instances looting and sometimes destroying homes, churches and warehouses. A large percentage of the eligible men fought in the war, either marching with the Continental Army or guarding the home front in local militias. The regular army regiments from St. Mary's County fought engagements from New York to South Carolina and were present at the British surrender at Yorktown.

The pursuit and successful conclusion of the war brought both detrimental and beneficial effects to St. Mary's Countians. On the one hand, the great demand on supplies, manpower and money created by the war, combined with the curtailment of trade with Britain, led to a profound decline in the economy in the years immediately following the war. Counterbalancing this was the fact that the vast expanse of land west of the Appalachians which was gained by Britain's victory in the French and Indian war but closed to settlement by the colonial government now became available to citizens brave enough to relocate there. Some of the land was given out in grants to Revolutionary War veterans in payment for their services, and more was available for purchase at low cost. These circumstances resulted in a massive movement of people to the western lands, particularly Kentucky, in the decades following the war. Kentucky was populated largely by settlers from Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. As an example of the extent of the post-war migration, the population of St. Mary's County decreased from 15,444 to 12,794 between the years 1790 and 1810. Many of these followed earlier St. Mary's County pioneers to Kentucky, especially to Nelson and Washington (then including Marion) counties.

For Marylanders, the usual route to Nelson County started overland to Pittsburgh, then down the Ohio river to Maysville, followed by another overland journey to one of the forts, called "stations", near the area of settlement. Alternate routes5 were down the Ohio to the Kentucky, inland along the Kentucky, then over the hills into the Salt River basin down the Ohio to the Falls of the Ohio, then in to Bullitt's Lick over buffalo trails and down the Ohio to the Salt River, then upstream into Simpson Creek. Indian attacks were still common, and dependents were usually left at the nearest station until the settlement area was secured and the land cleared for farming. Militias companies were formed for defense of the settlement. Indian incursions into Nelson County continued as late a 1792, when a band of Indians marauding along the Rolling Fork fought with a group of settlers, resulting in four Indian and three settler casualties. These raids ended in 1793, and the final defeat and pacification of the Midwestern tribes came in 1795 with the treaty of Greensville.

When the earliest settlers arrived, Kentucky was still a territory of Virginia, and Nelson County, formed in 1785, included the present Washington, Marion, and nine other counties, plus parts of eleven others. Washington County (including Marion) separated in 1792, and Marion county was formed in 1834. The first large Catholic migration into Nelson County was begun in 1785 by the League of Catholic Families, most of whom were from St. Mary's County, Maryland. They followed the Maysville route down to Goodwin's Station (near the present Boston), and from there moved into the Pottinger's Creek area of Nelson County, near the present location of Gethsemani Monastery. A list of heads of families, compiled by one of the settlers, was published in 1884 by B. J. Webb and has been reproduced in various publications since then. The last name on the list is Francis Peake. Many surnames familiar to Central Kentuckians, especially Catholics, are on the list, including Mudd, Mattingly, Cissell (Cecil), Nally, Hagan, French, Edelen, Norris, Spalding and others.

Other areas heavily settled by St. Mary's Countians include Hardin Creek (10 Miles east of Pottinger Creek), Cartwright's Creek, Scott County, Rolling Fork, Cox's Creek, and Breckinridge County. Most of the settlers, but not all, were Catholic. The Marylanders brought with them the traditional skills of their region, including tobacco farming, distilling, and preparation of Southern Maryland stuffed ham. The first Catholic church, a log building, was built at the foot of Rohan Knob (now Holy Cross) in 1792. Since Catholic education had been banned in colonial Maryland, most of the priests sent to Kentucky had been brought from Europe, particularly from France. The diocese of Bardstown was created in 1808 with Father Benedict Flaget named as the first Bishop. Father J. B. M. David was appointed as the second Bishop in 1832, and Bishop Flaget was reappointed in 1833. With the coming of the priests and the establishment of orders of nuns, Catholic education became available, beginning with St. Thomas Seminary in 1811. However, relatively few of the early settlers received an education, and many were illiterate.


Kentucky Genealogy Trails

Source "History of Kentucky" by Lewis Collins Published by Lewis Collins, Richard H. Collins, Louisville, Ky., 1877

Submitted by Veneta McKinney


A DICTIONARY OF THE STATIONS AND EARLY SETTLEMENTS IN KENTUCKY.

Realizing at every step of his studies in Kentucky history the need of a knowledge of the topography of early Kentucky, the author has made the following, for two years, a work of great and patient labor. He has succeeded in making it full and accurate beyond his most sanguine expectations—especially when it is known that he has been able to avail of the personal information of only one now living, Dr. Christopher C. Graham, of Louisville (who, in November, 1876, at the ripe age of 90, is enthusiastically engaged in building up a great museum in connection with the Public Library of Kentucky). In addition to all usual sources of such knowledge, over nine thousand depositions of the pioneers, of all dates from 1787 to 1827, have been sought out in the various courthouses, and their statements under oath faithfully examined and compared. It will be esteemed a favor if any one discovering the slightest inaccuracy will promptly notify the author, that it may be corrected in future editions.

ARMSTRONG’S STATION, on the Indiana shore, in Clark county, Indiana, at the mouth of Bull creek, opposite the Grassy Flats, and 18-mile-Island bar, in the Ohio River, 18 miles above Louisville. A blockhouse was built here by Col. John Armstrong, between 1786 and 1790, to prevent the Indians from crossing the River here, where it was fordable, to steal horses from Ky.

ASHTON’S STATION mentioned in Boone's Autobiography, May, 1782 same as Estill's

A'STURGAS' STATION (1783), on Harrod's trace, in Jefferson county.

BAILEY'S STATION, in Mason county, 2 ½ miles south of Maysville, and 1 mile from Washington settled in 1791.

BARDSTOWN, in Nelson county, established 1788 called Bairdstown.

BARNETT’S STATION, 2 miles from Hartford, Ohio county settled by Col. Joseph Barnett, before 1790.

BLACK’S STATION before Dec., 1794 in Fayette county, on waters of Clear Creek.

BLUE LICKS, Lower. See Lower Blue Licks.

BLUE LICKS, Upper. See Upper Blue Licks.

BOILING SPRINGS, in Mercer county, near or in Harrodsburg in 1775, one of the four “settlements” which were represented in the Transylvania legislative body at Boonesboro.

BOONES STATION, same as Boonesboro.

BOONE’S STATION, on Boone’s Creek, in Fayette county, about 10 miles S. E.. of Lexington and 5 miles N. W. from Boonesboro settled by and named after Daniel Boone about 1783 or '84, who lived there until he removed to Maysville, before Feb. 3, 1786.

BOONE’S (Squire) STATION called Squire Boone's STATION.

BOONESBORO, on the W. bank of Kentucky River in Madison county settled by Daniel Boone, who began the fort on April 1st, and finished it on the 14th of June, l775.

BOSELEY’S STATION, ¾ mile above the main fork of Wells’ Creek, near Washington, Mason county before 1793.

BOWMAN’S STATION, 6 miles E. of Harrodsburg settled in 1779 by 30 families under Col. Abram Bowman. Col. B. soon after removed to Fayette county .

BRASHEAR’S STATION, at mouth of Floyd’s Fork, in Bullitt county, 1779.

BRYAN’S STATION, in Fayette county, about 5 miles N. E. of Lexington, on the southern bank of the north fork of Elkhorn settled by the Bryans in 1774, but a cabin had been built by Joseph Bryan, a son-in-law of Col. Daniel Boone, in 1776.

BUCHANAN’S STATION, 1 mile w. of Germantown, Bracken county, where Geo. Humlong recently lived.

BULLITT’S LICK, on north side Salt River, 3 miles from Salt River and same distance from Shepherdsville, in Bullitt county discovered by Capt. Thos. Bullitt in 1773 the only place where salt was made about the Falls in 1780-1, according to Bland Ballard's deposition.

BYNE’S STATION, settled by Edmund Byne, on North Fork, in Mason county.

CAMP KNOX, in n. part of Green county, where, in June, l770, Col. Jas. Knox, with 22 men (called the “Long Hunters"), with 4 pack-horses, encamped.

CANE RUN, a Presbyterian meeting-house in 1784, in then Lincoln county.

CARPENTER’S STATION, in the knobs of Green River, about 2 miles w. of Hustonville in Lincoln county about 1780.

CASEY’S (Col. Wm.) STATION, in Lincoln county, 3 miles W. of Stanford, and 7 miles E. of Danville, on Hanging Fork of Dick's River.

CASSIDY’S STATION, in Fleming county settled by Michael Cassidy.

CLARK’S STATION, in Mason county settled in l785.

CLARKSVILLE, in Indiana, opposite Louisville, laid out by Gen. Geo. Rogers Clark.

CLEAR’S STATION, in Bullitt county.

CORN ISLAND, in Ohio River, opposite Louisville—where Gen. Geo. Rogers Clark built a fort in June, 1778, and raised several crops of corn had several acres of rich land now all washed away.

COX’S STATION, in Nelson county, near Kincheloe’s Station.

CRAB ORCHARD, in Lincoln county, 12 miles from Lancaster, and 10 miles from Stanford, on the old pioneer road to Cumberland Gap.

CRAIG’S STATION, on Gilbert's creek, a few miles E. of Lancaster, Garrard county settled by Rev. Lewis Craig, in 1780.

CRAIG’S STATION, (another), in Lincoln county, 2 miles E. of Danville.

CROW’S STATION, in then Lincoln county, near Danville settled by John Crow, before May , 1782.

DANVILLE, in Boyle county laid off as a town by Walker Daniel, 1781.

DAVIS' STATION, in southern Kentucky, probably in Logan or Warren co.

DOUGHERTY’S STATION, in Boyle co., on Clark's run, 1 ½ miles below Danville.

DOWDALL’S STATION, on Salt River: before 1784.

DRENNON’S LICK, in Henry county, near Kentucky River.

DUTCH STATION, in Jefferson county, on Beargrass creek 1780.

ELK FORK OF RED RIVER, in Logan county several settlements on, 1785.

ESTILL’S STATION, on Muddy creek, 3 miles S. of Richmond, in Madison county settled by Capt. James Estill, before 1781.

FALLS OF THE OHIO, The first fort was built on Corn Island, opposite Louisville, in June, 1778 in the fall of 1778, or spring of 1779, a rude stockade was raised near a ravine where, in 1838, Twelfth street in Louisville terminated at the Ohio River.

FEAGAN’S STATION, in Mason co., 1 ½ or 2 miles E. of Germantown.

FINN’S STATION, in Jefferson or Spencer co. settled before 1780.

FINNEY, FORT - original name of Fort where lower end of Jeffersonville, Indiana, now stands, at the Falls of the Ohio.

FLEMING’S (Col. John) STATION, in Fleming co. 1790.

FLOYD’S STATION, first at the mouth of Beargrass, in Louisville, corner 3d St. and Ohio River.

FLOYD’S STATION, on the Middle Fork of Beargrass creek, 6 miles from the Falls of the Ohio settled by Col. John Floyd, in 1779.

FLOYD’S FORK STATION, in Oldham co., near Pewee Valley, 18 miles E. of Louisville. .

FORK’S OF DICK’S RIVER, Presbyterian preaching place in 1784, in now Lincoln county.

FONTAINBLEAU, about 3 miles below Harrodsburg, on the bank of Salt River a mill was built here at a very early day

GARRARD’S STATION, in Hamilton co., Ohio, on Little Miami April, 1796.

GEORGETOWN, in Scott co., formerly McClelland’s Fort,

GILMER’S LICK, 7 miles from Whitelys Station, in Lincoln co.

GILMORE’S STATION, 12 miles E. of Mountsterling, Montgomery co.

GLOVER’S STATION, on Green River, where Greensburg now stands 1780.

GOODWIN’S STATION, on the Rolling Fork 1780.

GORDON’S STATION, 1779 in Mercer co.

GRANT’S LICK, in Campbell co., 5 miles from Alexandria, on road to Falmouth salt made there before 1800.

GRANT’S STATION, settled by Col. John Grant, in 1779, who abandoned it in 1780 and moved back to N. Carolina, but returned and re-settled it in 1784 within 5 miles N. E. of Bryan's Station, near where Lowe’s is, on Ky. Cen. R. R., near Fayette and Bourbon line.

GRUBB’S STATION, settled by Capt. Higgason Grubbs, on Muddy creek, Madison co.. before Oct., 1792.

HAGGIN'S STATION. [See Trigg’s Station.]

HARDINSBURG, county seat of Breckinridge co., originally a Station erected by Capt. Hardin laid out as a town in 1782.

HARDIN’S STATION, same as Hardinsburg above.

HARLAN’S STATION, on Salt River, in Mercer co., 7 miles s. E. from Harrodsburg and 3 miles S. W. of Danville built by Major Silas Harlan, in 1778.

HARRISON’S STATION, 2 miles from Higgins’ Fort, about 3 miles from Cynthiana, in Harrison co. before 1786.

HARROD’S STATION, 6 miles east of Harrodsburg, in Mercer co., on the present road to Danville settled by Col. James Harrod.

HARROD’S TOWN, or HARRODSBURG STATION, where Harrodsburg now stands, in Mercer co. settled by James Harrod, in 1774. The Fort—located on the hill which, in 1834, was occupied by the seminary building, and which included a considerable spring of water at its foot—was begun during the winter of 1775-'6, but not finished until the ensuing season.

HART’S or WHITE OAK SPRING STATION, 1 mile above Boonesboro, in same Ky. River bottom, in Madison co. settled in 1779, by Nathaniel Hart, and some families from Pennsylvania.

HARTFORD STATION, where Hartford, Ohio co., is before 1790.

HAZEL PATCH, on the Cumberland Gap road, in Laurel co.

HELM’S STATION, HAYCRAFT’S STATION, and HYNES’ STATION, Settled by Capt. Thos. Helm, in 1780, on the spot now occupied by the late Gov. John L. Helm’s residence the 2d, named after Samuel Haycraft, was on the hill above the cave spring while Hynes’, settled by Col. Andrew Hynes, occupied the other angle of a triangle where Elizabethtown now stands they were one mile apart. .

HIGGINS‘ BLOCKHOUSE, on bank of Licking, 1 ½ miles above Cynthiana, Harrison co., opposite mouth of Sellers' Run before 1786. '

HINKSTON’S STATION, in Harrison co., on South Licking, 1 ½ miles above Higgins’ Blockhouse, and a short distance below Hinkston creek was first settled by Isaac Ruddle and others, and called Ruddle's Station until “taken by the Indians" in 1780 when resettled, afterwards, it was oftenest called Hinkston's, after John Hinkson, the most prominent of the re-settlers.

HOBSON’S CHOICE, the camping ground of Gen. Wayne, in 1793, on the Ohio River, below (now in) the city of Cincinnati—the very spot now occupied by the gas works, but reaching above and below that.

HOGLAND’S STATION, in Jefferson co., on Beargrass 1780.

HOY’S STATION, in Madison county.

HUSTON’S STATION, in 1776," the present site of Paris, Bourbon co.

IRISH STATION, in Nicholas co., 5 or 6 miles S. of Lower Blue Lick, on road to Millersburg.

IRVINE’S STATION, near where Richmond now stands, in Madison co. established by Col. Wm. Irvine and his brother Capt. Christopher Irvine, in 1778 or 1779.

JEFFERSON, FORT, in Ballard co., on the Mississippi River, about 5 miles below the mouth of the Ohio established by Gen. George Rogers Clark, within the Chickasaw country in 1780 abandoned or evacuated in the spring of 1781, because it afforded no security to the Western settlements.

KELLAR’S STATION, in Jefferson co. before 1780.

KENTON’S STATION, 3 miles s. W. of Limestone, now Maysville, and 1 mile S. of Washington, in Mason co. settled by Simon Kenton, in 1784.

KENTON’S (John) STATION, half mile S. E. of Washington, Mason co.

KILGORE’S STATION, in 1782, N. of Cumberland River, on S. side of Red River

attacked by Indians, same year, and broken up. Probably in southern part of Logan co., near state line, or may be in Tennessee. '

KINCHELOE’S STATION, on Simpson's creek, in Spencer co.

KNOB LICK, in Lincoln co., 5 miles s. of Danville settled in 1776, by Isaac Shelby.

KUYKENDAHL’S (Moses) STATION, (1782), in Jefferson co., on waters of Harrod’s creek.

LEACH’S STATION, in Bracken co.

LEE’S STATION, in Mason co., between Maysville and Washington settled by Gen. Henry Lee, in I78-5, and still the home of his descendants.

LEESTOWN, on E. bank of Ky. River, 1 mile below Frankfort—settled in 1776, by Hancock Lee, Cyrus McCracken (father of Capt. Virgil McCracken, after whom McCracken co. was named), and others——who raised cabins there.

LEWIS’ STATION, re-settled by Geo. Lewis in 1789, formerly called Geo. Clark's Station—where Lewisburg now is, in Mason co., miles from Maysville.

LEXINGTON, on the Town fork of Elkhorn, in Fayette co. settled by Col. Robert Patterson, April 1, 1779.

LICKING STATION, in Harrison co., probably near Lair's or may be nearer to Cynthiana.

LINN’S STATION, on Beargrass, in Jefferson co., about 10 miles from Louisville: before 1780.

LITTELL’S STATION, in Pendleton co., on Fork Lick, a west branch of South Licking, into which it empties just below Callensville (or Morgan’s, on Ky. Cen. RR)

LOGAN’S FORT, same as St. Asaph, 1 mile W. of Stanford, in Lincoln co. settled by Col. Benj. Logan, in 1775.

LOUISVILLE, at the Falls of the Ohio, in Jefferson co. laid off as a town by Capt. Thos. Bullitt, in August, 1773 the first settlement was on Corn Island, near the Ky. shore, in the spring of 1778 in the fall of that year, a blockhouse was built on the main shore, and in 1782 a larger fort called Fort Nelson.

LOUDON’S STATION, 30 miles from mouth of Ky. River, probably in Henry co.

LYNCH’S STATION, near Shelbyville same as Squire Boone's.

LOWER BLUE LICKS, in Nicholas co., in sight of where the Maysville and Lexington turnpike crosses Licking River discovered in 1773.

JAMES MCAFEE’S STATION, on the bank of Salt River, 6 or 7 miles below Harrodsburg, and W. N. W. from it first cabin built in 1774, and more settlers came in 1775.

MCAFEE’S STATION, in Mercer co., 6 or 7 miles from Harrodsburg, on Salt River, and about ¼ of a mile above Providence church settled by the McAfee brothers, in 1779.

WILLIAM MCAFEE’S STATION, on Shawnee run, about 1 mile w. from Harrodsburg, at the mouth of the Town branch. '

MANCHESTER or MASSIE’S STATION, 12 miles above Maysville, on the north bank of the Ohio River.

MANN’S LICK, a salt Station before 1786, on south side of and close to Salt River, in Bullitt co., a few miles from Shepherdsville.

MARTIN’S STATION, established by John Martin (who built a cabin in 1775), 5 miles from Ruddle’s Station, on Stoner, about 3 miles below Paris in Bourbon co. settled in 1779.

MAULDING’S STATION, established in 1780, on Red River, in Logan co.

MAYSVILLE, on the Ohio River, at the mouth of Limestone creek, in Mason co. settled in 1784 blockhouse built by Edward Waller, John Waller and George Lewis, of Virginia.

MCCLELLAND’S FORT or STATION, where Georgetown now stands, in Scott co., settled, in 1776, by John, Alex. and Wm. McClelland, and their and other families from Hinckston's Station and Drennon's Lick.

MCFADDEN’S STATION, 4 miles above Bowlinggreen, on Big Barren River, in Warren co. settled by Andrew McFadden, in 1785.

MCGARY’S (Maj. Hugh) STATION, in Mercer co., at the head spring on Shawnee run, 5 miles N. 2:. E. from Harrodsburg.

MCGEE’S STATION, or COVE SPRING, on Cooper-’s run, in S. E.part of Fayette co., on or near Tate’s creek road from Lexington to Richmond sometimes called “Old Station " settled before 1780.

MCKINNEY’S STATION, settled by‘ Archibald McKinney before 1792 in Lincoln Co., on McKinney's branch of Hanging Fork, about 2 miles from Green River, 9 miles s. W. from Stanford, and about 4 miles N. E. of Hustonville.

MEFFORD’S (GEO.) STATION, 2 ½ miles S. of Maysville, Mason co. 1787.

MIDDLE STATION, in Jefferson co. before 1787.

MILLER’S STATION, settled in 1784 by John Miller, about 1 mile from Hinkston creek towards Blue Licks, and 1 mile N. E. of Millersburg.

MILL’S STATION, supposed to be in Greenup or Lewis co., Wm. Thompson, of White Oak, Greenup co., who died May 7, 1867, aged 77, settled there in 1790, with his father.

MONTGOMERY’S STATION, in Lincoln Co., on the headwaters of Green River, 12 miles s. W. from Logan's Fort, 2 ½ miles from Pettit's Station settled by Wm. Montgomery, (the father-in-law of Gen. Ben. Logan) and sons, in 1780.

MORGAN’S STATION, on Slate creek, 7 miles E. of Mount Sterling, in what is now Bath co. settled before 1793.

MUD GARRISON, where Shepherdsville now stands, in Bullitt co., midway between Bullitt’s Lick and the Falls of Salt River settled in, or before 1778.

MUDDY RIVER LICKS, N. of Russellville, in Logan and Butler counties settlements between 1780 and 1784.

NELSON, FORT, in Louisville, corner 9th St. and Ohio River.

NEW HOLLAND, in Jefferson co. before 1784.

NONSENSE, FORT, in Bullitt co.

OLD TOWN, a name by which Harrodsburg was known at an early day

OLD TOWN, in Greenup co., the scene of a great battle by Indians.

PAINTED STONE, some doubt as to its locality, but believed to be another name for Squire Boone's Station on Clear creek, near Shelbyville, Shelby co. certainly Squire Boone's military headquarters in June, 1780.

PARIS, formerly Houston's Station, in Bourbon co. established in 178 under the name of Hopewell, afterwards called Bourbonton, and finally Paris.

PETIT’S STATION, in Lincoln Co., 2 ½ miles from Montgomery's STATION, on the headwaters of Green River, and 16 miles S. E. from Logan s Fort.

PHILLIP’S FORT, in Larue Co., on N. side of Nolin creek, 1 ¼ miles from Hodgenville settled by Philip Phillips, 1780-1.

PITTMAN’S STATION, in Green Co., on the right bank of Green River, near the mouth of Pittman's creek, 5 miles W. of Greensburg settled in fall of 1779 or spring of 1780.

POPULAR LEVEL, in Jefferson Co. before 1784.

PORT WILLIAM, now Carrollton, in Carroll Co., at the mouth of Kentucky River laid out in 1792 a blockhouse built in 1786 or 1787 by Capt. Elliston.

REDSTONE FORT, now Brownsville, in S. W. Pennsylvania, on the Monongahela River the most frequent point where emigrants from Pennsylvania and the east, and many from Virginia and Maryland, took navigation for Ky.

ROGER’S STATION, in Nelson Co., near the Beech Fork 1780.

RUDDLE’S STATION, on E. bank of South Fork of Licking River, 3 miles below the junction of Hinkston and Stoner's branches, about 7 miles from Paris, in Bourbon co. settled in 1777, by Isaac Ruddle captured by the Indians and destroyed in 1780 re-built by John Hinkson and- others, and called Hinkston's Station.

RUSSELLVILLE, in Logan co. settled in 1780.

ST. ASAPH, or Logan’s Fort, in Lincoln Co., 1 mile W. of Stanford in 1775.

SANDUSKY’S STATION, on Pleasant Run, in Washington co., settled by James Sandusky or Sodowsky in 1776 in 1786 or '87 he removed to Cane Ridge, in Bourbon Co., and settled another Station, which was probably known by the name of Cane Ridge

SCOTT’S (JOHN) STATION, 5 ½ miles N. E. of Cynthiana, Harrison co.

SKAGG’S STATION, on Brush creek, in Green co. about 1781.

SLATE BLOCKHOUSE, at the old Slate Furnace, in Bath Co. about 1788.

SPRING STATION, in Jefferson co., in 1784.

STATION CAMP CREEK, in Jackson and Estill counties.

SQUIRE BOONE’S STATION, in Shelby co., near where Shelbyville now stands, on Clear creek, a branch of Brashears’ creek settled in 1780 or before.

STATIONS on Beargrass creek 6, in 1780, with a population of 600 men.

STEUBEN, FORT, at the Falls of the Ohio in 1790 originally culled Fort Finney, now Jeffersonville, Indiana.

STOCKTON’S (Geo.) STATION, in sight of Flemingsburg, Fleming co. in 1787.

STRODE’S STATION, 2 miles from Winchester, in Clark co. in 1779.

STROUD’S STATION, in Mason Co., on the North Fork of Licking, at the mouth of Stroud’s run, in 1785. More correctly written Strode.

STURGUS’ STATION, in Jefferson co. in or before 1784.

SULLIVAN’S STATION, in Jefferson co., on Beargrass 1780.

SULLIVAN’S OLD STATION, before 1780, in Jefferson co. 5 miles s. E. of Louisville, on the Bardstown road. Elisha Applegate, still living in Nov., 1872, was born there in 1781.

SULLlVAN'S NEW STATION, in Jefferson co. Before 1784.

SULLIVAN’S (DANIEL) STATION, in Jefferson co. before 1784.

TANNER’S STATION, where Petersburg now is, in Boone co. 1785.

TAYLOR'S CREEK STATION was probably in Campbell Co., on Taylor's Creek. The Cincinnati Centinel of the North- West, March 12, 1796, says John Campbell lived there.

THOMPSON’S STATION, settled by Robert Thompson in 1790 on the Middle Fork of Elkhorn, 3 miles below Lexington, in Fayette co.

TODD’S STATION, in Jessamine co., not far from Keene, and about 10 miles s. W. from Lexington settled by Levi Todd in 1779, who afterwards removed to Lexington as a place of greater safety.

TRIGG’S STATION, 4 miles N. E. of Harrodsburg, in Mercer co., on Cane run, 4 miles from its mouth at Dick's River settled in 1780 by Col. Stephen Trigg, and called Viney Grove, because of the number of large grape-vines. John Haggin lived there, and it was sometimes called Haggin's Station.

TYLER’S STATION, named after Capt. Robert Tyler on Tick creek, 4 miles E. of Shelbyville. '

UPPER BLUE LICKS, on Licking River, in Nicholas co. 12 miles from Flemingsburg and 18 miles from Carlisle,

VINEY GROVE. [See Trigg’s Station]

WADDINGTON’S, a mistake for Worthington’s Station

WARING’S STATION, in Mason co., nearly 2 miles from Maysville, a short distance W. of Lexington turnpike settled, Feb., 1785, by Col. Thos. Waring.

WASHINGTON, in Mason co., 3 ½ miles S. W. of Maysville settled by Simon Kenton in 1784 laid out as a town in 1786, by Rev. Wm. Wood and Arthur Fox, sen.

WHIPPOORWILL CREEK, Logan co. settlement in 1784, by the Mauldings.

WHITAKER’S STATION, in Bullitt co. settled by Capt. Aquilla Whitaker, the hero of the fight at the foot of the Falls of the Ohio, on March 1, 1781.

WHITE OAK SPRING (or Hart's) STATION. [See Hart's Station]

WHITLEY’S STATION, in Lincoln Co., 2 miles s. w. of Crab Orchard. “In 1779, they found Col. Wm. Whitley’s Station at Dick's River, on the Ky. trace from Cumberland Gap." On the spot still stands a two-story brick house--claimed to be the first brick house built in Kentucky, the windows are set over six feet above the floor, to prevent the Indians seeing or shooting into the room.

WILDERNESS, the great traveled road from Virginia to Kentucky, through Cumberland Gap , Hazel Patch, Crab Orchard, and Stanford, to Danville and Central Kentucky.

WILSON’S STATION, in Mercer Co., on a branch of Salt River, 2 miles N. W. of Harrodsburg.

WILSON’S STATION, (another), in Lincoln Co., at the fork Clark's run 1785.

WORTHINGTON’S STATION or FORT, in Lincoln Co., 4 miles S. E. of Danville settled in 1779, by Capt. Edward Worthington.

STATIONS AND EARLY SETTLEMENTS IN KENTUCKY.

The following additional Stations and Settlements in early Kentucky were gathered during my later researches and inquiries among court records and depositions, and private papers. R. H. C.

ADAMS (Geo.) STATION, in Garrard co.

ARNOLD’S (John) STATION, on Little Benson creek, 7 miles above Frankfort 1783.

ARRINGTON’S STATION, in southern Kentucky 1788.

BALLARD'S (Bland) STATION in Shelby co. usually called Tyler's.

BELL’S STATION, in Madison co.

BLOCKHOUSE ON BIG SANDY RIVER, near or above Louisa, Lawrence co.

GEORGE BOONE’S STATION, 2 ½ miles N. W. of Richmond

BURNT STATION, on or near Simpson's creek, in Nelson co.

BUSH’S (Wms) STATION or Settlement in Clark co., near Boonesborough.

CAMPBELL’S STATION, on the Dry Ridge in now Grant co., 3 miles N. of Williamstown, and 33 miles from the mouth of Licking settled some time before 1792.

CARTWRIGHT’S STATION settled in 1779.

CLARK’S STATION, on Clark’s Run, a branch of Dick's River settled by Geo. Clark before Nov 1779.

COLLINS' STATION, on Rockcastle River.

COOPER’S STATION, on Cooper's run, in Bourbon co., 2 miles from Kiser's.

ELIJAH CHILD’S STATION, miles from Versailles 1783.

CREWS (David) STATION, in Madison co., 1781.

CURTIS STATION, in Mason co.

DAVIESS (James) STATION, about 5 miles W. of Whitley's.

DOVER STATION, in Garrard co., on waters of Dick's River.

DOWNING’S STATION, E of and near Dick’s River, not far from Danville.

ELLIS STATION, at Ellisville, Nicholas co.

ENGLISH’S STATION, on s. bank of Dick's River, in Lincoln co., 3 miles E. of Crab Orchard.

ESTILL’S New STATION, 5 miles s. n. of Richmond.

FIELD’S (Wm.) STATION, 1 ¼ miles W. of Danville.

FISHER’S (Stephen) Garrison, not far from Danville.

FLORER’S STATION, on the “ middle trace" from Maysville to Lexington 1792

FORKS OF ELKHORN Settlement, in Scott co.

FOX’S (Arthur) STATION same as Washington

GIVEN’S (Samuel) STATION, 1 ¼ miles S. W. of Danville, on a branch of Clark's run settled before Feb., 1780 afterwards called John Reed's Station.

GOAR’S STATION, in Franklin co., on N. side of Elkhorn creek.

GREAT CROSSINGS STATION, in Scott co., about 2 miles W. of Georgetown same as Col. Johnsons.

HARBESON’S STATION, probably in E. part of Washington county, on road from Harrodsburg to Bardstown.

HOLDER’S (John) STATION, on Ky. River, 2 miles below Boonesborough.

HOOD’S STATION, in Clark co. before 1792.

IRISH STATION, between Danville and mouth of Dick's River.

JOHNSON’S (Col. Robert) STATION, at the Great Buffalo Crossings on North Elkhorn, in Scott co. settled in winter of 1783-84.

KENTON’S (Simon) STATION several blockhouses built by Simon Kenton, who brought them from Pennsylvania his father's family, and remained with them until July 1784.

KENNEDY’S STATION, in Garrard co., between Paint Lick creek and Dick's River.

LEITCH’S STATION, about 6 miles above the mouth of Licking, on the E. bank, in now Campbell county settled in 1790 by Maj. David Leitch (after whom Litchfield, Grayson co., was named).

LIBERTY Fort, on Salt River in Mercer county, 3/4 mile below McAfee's Station.

LITTELL’S STATION, now the site of Williamstown, Grant Co. settled before 1792.

The LITTLE Fort same as Twetty's 1775.

LINDSAY’S STATION, in Scott co., near Lecompt's run.

LOCUST THICKET in Madison co. before 1780.

MARBLE CREEK STATION, 7 miles from Boonesborough.

MASTERSON’S (James) STATION, 5 miles N. W. of Lexington. The first Methodist E. church building in Ky. was erected here—-a plain log structure—in 1790, or earlier and in 1871 was still standing.

MAY'S LICK Settlement, at Ma slick, Mason co.

MCCONNELL’S STATION, settled by Wm. McConnell in 1783 or earlier, at the royal spring near (now in) Lexington, was not so fortified as to be regarded as a regular station, and was soon merged in Lexington.

MCCORMICK’S STATION, on top of first ridge N. or R. W. of Knob Lick fork of Hanging Fork of Dick's River.

MCGUIRE’S STATION, same as McGee's so called, sometimes, because James McGuire was prominent there in 1780.

MCKINLEY’S Block House, on the old buffalo traces of Washington, Mason co., where David Hunter lived in 1873 built by Jas. McKinley in 1785.

MCMILLIN’S Fort, in Bourbon or Harrison co. 1779.

MEAUX’S STATION, probably in Boyle or Mercer co. 1789.

MEEK’S STATION, on the waters of Drennon's Lick, 20 miles from the Ohio River at the mouth of 18 Mile creek.

OWEN'S (Bracket) STATION, near Shelbyville 1782.

OWINGS STATION, on road from Lexington to Paris.

PAINT LICK STATION, in Garrard co., near Madison Co. line.

POND STATION, in McLean co., 4 miles s. W. of Calhoun 1790.

REED’S (John) STATION, near Danville same as Givens’.

ROGER’S STATION (another), towards Strode's Station, in Clark co.

SALT RIVER GARRISON before 1780.

SCRIVNER’S STATION, in Madison co.

SHALLOW FORD STATION, in Madison co.

SMITH’S STATION, on road from Danville to mouth of Dick's River.

STEVENSON’S STATION, on Paint Lick creek, probably in Garrard Co.

SUMMIT STATION, in Nicholas co., 12 miles from Lower Blue Licks.

TANNER’S (John) STATION, 6 miles n. w. of Richmond.

TANNER’S STATION, at Lower Blue Licks Nov., 1784.

TWETTY’S Fort, the first fort in Ky., 5 miles S. of Richmond 1775.

VANCE’S STATION, on Green River, 15 miles from its mouth before April, 1780.

VANCOUVER’S (Charles) Fort, in forks of Big Sandy River settled in 1789, but abandoned in 1790.


The Restoration Begins

After the Shakers were gone, the buildings and property passed into private hands. The once-vibrant community was now quiet, and the Shakers were nearly forgotten. The buildings took on new functions. The Trustees’ Office was operated as a restaurant. The Meeting House became the Shakertown Baptist Church. The Carpenters’ Shop served as a general store, and the Farm Deacon’s Shop was a gas station.

In early 1961, a groundswell of interest in saving these historic structures brought on the formation of an organization to acquire and restore them. That same year, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill was formed as a nonprofit, educational corporation. Earl D. Wallace, a well-known Kentucky businessman, led the group. Members came from central Kentucky, as well as Louisville and Lexington. Mr. Wallace was elected chairman of the board of trustees, a position he held until his death in 1990.

James Lowry Cogar, the first curator of Colonial Williamsburg, came back in 1962 to his native state to become the first president of Shaker Village. Mr. Cogar was responsible for the innovative plan for adaptive use of historic buildings and excellence in restoration standards. He insisted upon the purchase of 2,250 acres of original Shaker land to act as a buffer against commercial encroachment.

When restoration began in 1966, it became apparent that no government agency or trust would provide long-term support and Shaker Village Pleasant Hill must be self-sufficient. Admission income also would not be enough to ensure the project’s survival. Dining, overnight lodging and craft sales were incorporated into the plan to diversify the property’s revenue streams.